Saturday, September 1, 2012

Here's the Beef!



I wanted to cover a popular menu item in the culinary world and kick off my “Best Burgers in Bellingham” series of blog posts. This post will be the standard to which I base my burger preferences on. Burgers are one of my most favored of foods. It is also a food that can be prepared several ways and has many schools of thought to how it should be prepared. Knowing that I found this recipe to be the best of the home-cook burgers.


Inspired by a recipe handed down from one of the greatest humans I have ever known, Bob Gieselman (Grandpa Bob), I have perfected this concoction over several years. As it should, it starts with the beef. Grandpa Bob choose his beef carefully. Picking a cow well in advance, he visits the ranch in Wyoming often to make certain the cow is well feed and well treated. I can't afford nor need an entire cow so I go with an organic beef, raised and packaged close to home. Fat content is important for maximum flavor and moistness. I use a pound of 85/15 but this recipe can be used with leaner mixes for those who are health conscious.


In order to have a great burger the meat needs to be juicy. Using a high-fat mixture helps but I find incorporating 3 tbs of panko breadcrumbs helps retain some of the delicious meat juices and blends in with the texture of the ground beef. I season my beef throughout the mixture to keep the spices evenly distributed, verses during the cooking process. I use 1 tbs of a Cajun spice blend to add salt, pepper and heat. I also add 2 tbs of an asian general tsao sauce to act as a binder and give a hint of sweet heat to the overall flavor. This mixture is intended to minimize the need for toppings.


I form my patties to fit the bun because the correct bun to meat ratio is a critical factor for maximum burger enjoyment. This 1 pound recipe is divided in fourths to yield a true quarter-pounder. I usually grill the meat until it just reaches medium-rare. Although if it does get over-cooked a bit the panko keeps the meat from drying out.


I do love my toppings, especially cheese and bacon, but I find that burger downfalls are caused by the over-topping of condiments and veggies. For most burger fans cheese and ketchup is all that is required. I like to put the classic lettuce, tomato and pickle. I usually choose only one condiment, if needed, ketchup or mayo suits me fine. On this burger I have a secret recipe, code named “hot toddy,” involving mayo and a certain green super-food (more on this sandwich spread later). These burgers have the big flavor and satisfying portion size that I require. Moist, meaty and marvelous. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment