Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Avenue loosens the B(e)LT



Classic BLT on a freshly baked ciabatta roll in itself sounds great but add stone-ground mustard and two over-easy eggs and you have yourself a party in your mouth! Avenue'sJames Street Cafe has been a favorite of mine for a number of years. The first time I tried the Sunnyland location I ordered this sandwich (the BELT). I consider myself well versed in all things sandwich and I feel this particular one hits on all levels. Starting with the bread, as all sandwiches do, is a wheat ciabatta baked fresh daily. It is soft on the inside with a slightly chewy crust. The bread holds up well to the filling. The bacon, the single-most important ingredient to the BLT, hands down, not debatable. Don't try and fool me with some vegan substitute or some crap made from turkey it has to be the real thing. Crunchy, salty pork bacon is the foundation of this great sandwich. The lettuce is crisp and lends a great counter-texture to the bread. The tomato is sweet and counters the bacon nicely. 


The eggs, although typically fried, I recommend getting them cook over-easy or sunny-side-up. Over-easy is a little less messy but the richness the yolk brings, covering each bite with a warm blanket of good morning, is well worth the extra napkins. The stone-ground mustard sends this breakfast grinder into the stratosphere. Playing the roll of savory and spicy all at once. Overall this is one of my top 10 sandwiches (a subject I will cover in a later blog) and would recommend it for your next adventure in eating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment